Information for Immigrants

You want to visit, work, study, settle or seek asylum in Munich? Here's all you need to know.

Services and Regulations

  • Entry visa

    Entry visa for academic/doctoral studies, German language courses, scientific activities and scholarships

  • Formal Obligation

    Visa applicants often have to submit a formal obligation at the German embassy or consulate abroad.

  • Residence Registration

    When moving to Munich to take up permanent residence, you must register your address within two weeks of your arrival.

  • Registration for EU Citizens

    EU citizens and citizens of Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein do not need a visa to enter Germany and do not need to apply for a residence permit.

  • Working Permit

    Blue Card, permit for self-employed work or for highly qualified persons: All you need to know if you want to come to work in Munich.

  • Au Pair to Student

    How can you change your legal residence status from being an au pair to being a student? Prerequisites, documents and application.

  • Absences Abroad

    Longer absences should always be communicated to the Foreigners Office to find out, how or if they might affect your re-entry.

  • Changing Studies

    Changing your course of study, moving to a different university: What foreign students have to consider concerning their residence permit.

  • Coming Home

    The Coming Home project supports refugees, asylum seekers and third-country nationals obliged to depart to reintegrate in their home countries.

  • The Mentoring Partnership

    The Mentoring Partnership builds a working relationship between qualified migrants (mentees) and established professionals (mentors).

  • Educational Assessment Center

    Do you have questions concerning German classes, school degrees or employment? Would you like assistance or orientation for your education or career?

  • Integration Counselling Center

    The Integration Counselling Center for Language and Employment provides information and advice.

  • Counselling on recognition

    You need official recognition of a certificate, diploma, or professional training in your home country for a job in Germany? Our advisory service can help.


How do I find an apartment? Where are language courses available? Where can I turn when I’m sick? The multilingual app INTEGREAT helps new immigrants in Munich

Learn about the app

Guides and Information

This is a carousel with rotating cards. Use the previous and next buttons to navigate, and Enter to activate cards.


Information on Brexit

The United Kingdom left the European Union on January 31st, 2020. All information concerning Brexit – regulary updated.

Studenten mit Laptop und Tablet

Guide for Foreign Students

Registration, bank account, residence permit: A step-by-step-guide for international students arriving in Munich.

Münchner Bildungsbegleiter

Munich Educational Portfolio

The Munich Educational Portfolio is a folder designed for refugees and immigrants 16 years of age or older.

Academic work and study

Study and Research in Munich

What's required to study or do research in Munich? Infos on recognition of qualifications, academic and student life, research options and contacts.