Loss of residence or identity documents

If you have lost your residence permit, travel document or other documents or if they have been stolen, you can report the loss here.


You can report the following stolen or lost documents to the Foreigners Office:

  • Residence document (eAT, Duldung or permit)
  • ID card (only for EU citizens)
  • Travel document (for refugees, foreigners or stateless persons)
  • Foreign passport

If you have found your document again after reporting it lost, then revoke the loss.

Report the loss or cancellation of a lost document to us online or by post. You can make the report for your own identity documents and those of your minor children.

We will process your report of loss and have the documents placed on the wanted list. The documents blocked in this way can no longer be used for travelling.

If it is an eAT, travel document, tolerated stay permit or permit, you will receive an appointment from us to reorder the respective document after you have reported the loss.

If you have lost your eAT, you will receive a certificate of residence title from us as a replacement for use in Germany. We will arrange for the eAT to be reordered within 14 days of notification of the loss.

If the loss is revoked, it cannot always be expected that the document will be immediately cancelled worldwide in the international search systems. It is therefore possible that a recovered document cannot be used without restriction and that there may be queries when travelling internationally at a later date.

If you have lost your eAT, you must have the online ID function blocked via the blocking emergency call, if it is activated.

If you have lost an ID card (EU citizens only) or a foreign passport, please also contact your embassy.


You are resident in the city of Munich with your main residence and have lost your document.

Required documents

  • Details of the circumstances of the loss (date, place and circumstances)
  • Police report of loss (if available)
  • Details of the ID card data (if known: issuing authority, ID card number/passport number/serial number and date of issue)
  • Copy of the document concerned (if available)
  • If the loss is revoked: notification of loss from the Foreigners Office Munich

Duration & Costs

Processing time

two weeks


free of charge


free of charge

Questions & Answers

You can book an appointment for help in emergencies.

If you have received a new passport, you must follow the information on transferring the residence permit to the new passport.

If you have already received a replacement document, you are obliged to hand in the recovered document to the competent authority.

If it is a residence document or travel document from the foreigners authority, please put it in the envelope in the letterbox at the KVR or send it back to us by post to the following address:

District Administration Department
Foreigners' Affairs
HA-II/312 (document issue)

Ruppertstraße 19
80337 Munich

Landeshauptstadt München

Hauptabteilung II Bürgerangelegenheiten


  • 115 − Authority number, Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m
  • +49 89 233-96010 − Service telephone Foreigners Office

Consultation hours

  • Mon 07:30 - 15:30
  • Tue 07:30 - 15:30
  • Wed 07:30 - 15:30
  • Thu 07:30 - 15:30
  • Fri 07:30 - 13:00
  • Sat Closed
  • Sun Closed

Postal address

Landeshauptstadt München
Hauptabteilung II Bürgerangelegenheiten

Ruppertstraße 19
80466 München

Fax: +49 89 233-27501


Ruppertstraße 19
80337 München

Lagehinweis: Eingang A

No personal appointment required